Monday, October 6, 2008

Good news but tough week

You may have figured out by now that I hate chapter 4. I mentioned way back before my first exam that I hated chapter 4. According to our syllabus, our first exam was supposed to be over chapters 1 through 3. During our lecture and even on our study guide, chapter 4 kept popping up, forcing me to read that chapter too. I managed to learn enough of chapter 4 to get by on the exam but I feared what was left to come.

According to the syllabus, my next exam is over chapters 4 through 6. In order to do well on my lab practical, I needed to read chapters 5 and 6 before last Friday. I thought I was far enough ahead that I could spend extra time on chapter 4, hoping that our lecture would explain some of the more complicated parts.

Chapter 4 was mentioned during the lecture, briefly. We were told that chapter 4 would not be making an appearance on this exam. All we needed to know was already covered on our first exam. Are you kidding me? Wonderful! I wanted to kiss her, but I don't think she likes physical contact.

Now for the tough part. In lab we began learning the skeleton. I love the skeleton, at least I thought I did until lab. It turns out I love the appendicular skeleton, which is next week. This week we learned about the axial skeleton. That is the bones of the skull, vertebral column and ribs. I was floored by the number and names of the bones, sutures, bumps and grooves of the skull. I think we all were a little shell shocked. I've spent enough time with it since then that I think I've got most of them. But it is still tough to determine on a solid cream colored plastic skull.

So we have a lab quiz this Friday right after the lecture exam. I need to know all about the four tissues of the body, all about the integumentary system and enough to hold my own on the skull and vertebrae. This is all doable, but it won't be easy.

I love anatomy.

No comments: