Friday, August 8, 2008

Where do I begin?

My name is Laura and I am about to begin a new chapter in my life. More precisely, I have already begun this new chapter. It may be arrogant of me, but I've decided to journal and share my experiences as they happen over the next few years. First, though, I have the daunting task of summarizing everything relevant leading up to this point. Bear with me as I get the story going.

If you don't already know me, you can guess a few things about me by the title of the blog. I am a wife and a mom and a student, in that order. I had a few titles before that, though. So let's start there for this first post.

When my title was kid, I graduated from high school. I wasn't sure what I wanted to be when I grew up but I knew I liked dissecting things. I loved biology, anatomy and health. But I liked a lot of things so it was difficult to focus. Because of this lack of focus, I decided not to waste a lot of money on a big school like IU. The University of Southern Indiana was right here and good enough for someone like me. I had very good grades in school but no idea for a major.

I thought being a surgeon would be fun. That right there should have been my first red flag. Becoming a doctor is not "fun". I would find that out soon enough as I chose pre-medicine as my major. I had never had to work much in high school so I was overwhelmed with this new schedule, especially chemistry. I freaked out and realized I didn't have the drive necessary to see this doctor thing through to the end.

I decided to drop chemistry my second semester and take a career planning class. I took all kinds of personality and interest inventory tests. Each one gave me completely different and contrary advice. I think I was told I should be a parks and rec director or a police officer among other things.

I finished the semester behind on hours and panicked. I still had no idea what to do. I couldn't just keep taking random classes. I needed a goal, a major. In my state of panic, I decided to join the military. I even took the ASFAB test at a local recruiter's. My dad, a Vietnam veteran, put his foot down and, since he was paying for most of my schooling, I obeyed.

I didn't know anything about any careers, really. I knew I liked school. I had plenty of experience in school since I was a kid, K though 12. I knew teachers. I knew classrooms. That settled it. I'd getting a teaching degree. That was not nearly as scary and new as pre-med. So I transfered to the school of education.

No comments: