Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wife

I can't really move forward in the story unless I go backwards a bit. The timing of my wedding will seem somewhat peculiar being January 2. I had just finished my last semester of education classes and student teaching began around January 10th. At that time I had a list of reasons why I wanted to get married then and not wait until summer...literally. I wrote them all down in case my parents said no. Now that I'm 30, I can't really explain any of it with the same conviction as when I was 20 so here is a reasonable summary.

His name is Jason and we met at Christian Fellowship Church when I was 15 and he was 19. We liked each other right away, then we hated each other, then we liked each other and so on for the next 4 or 5 years. Well, he says he always liked me, but we weren't very nice to each other sometimes. Never tell a guy you like him like a brother. They don't like it.

In the spring of 1998, a series of unexpected yeses to a series of casual invitations led us to spending a bit more time together. We were not madly in love, but I began to believe what Jason had known all along (as he claims), that we were supposed to be married. If that's the case then why wait around? When I've thought something through and it seems right, I don't stop until I've done it. That's my best explanation of why January 2nd. So...

Wedding. Student teaching. Elementary Education BS with a math minor and middle school endorsement. Summer job at a plastics factory (no need to elaborate). Teaching at ECS. Quitting ECS.

I think we are caught up now. Let's move forward. In fact, let's move to St. Louis where our story takes an interesting turn, or more specifically, a U-turn.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm enjoying your story. Maybe I'll be a nurse through you. ;) It's something I always thought I would do. I look forward to hearing all about it!

Laura said...

Cool, someone is reading. Hello Michelle! I guess I need to keep writing.

Todd Bacon said...

I'm reading too... just been on vacation...

Laura said...

Hey, Todd. You were gone?