After class Friday I will head over to another section of the school to take the Compass Algebra test at 2pm. I have discovered that the system is designed to give you progressively more difficult questions from basic math to trigonometry. As long as I get them right I keep going. Let's hope for a long test. Remember, I need a 66. Remember, I have no idea what that means. But I'll be glad to get it over with so you will stop asking me for more math details. I'm getting tired of talking about it.

I have been reading a book called The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Nursing School. I was cruising right along, soaking in all the glory that is nursing when I came to the sentence, "Make a list of what makes you unique, special, distinctive, impressive, or different from any other applicant?" I was completely stumped. I am the worst at this kind of stuff. Here are some of the questions that I am blanking on.
1) How would your friends describe you? I really don't know. My friends are too nice to be honest with me. Maybe that means I am intimidating and easily offended. Not the stuff of resumes.
2) What is unique about me? Uhh...I'm surrounded by married, christian, 30-something, stay-at-home mothers. I'm a dime a dozen.
3) What is impressive about me? That's pretty subjective and I don't really impress myself.
4) What can differentiate me from other applicants? Now I did answer this one. I think my bachelor's in education and being a math teacher is different. Either they will think I have intelligence and experience or they will think I am a quitter. A little of both, thanks.
5) What are my intellectual influences? Does Spongebob count? I haven't left the house in 8 years. I guess I gotta get me some of those.
6) How has high school prepared me for college? I don't really remember high school. Ask me how college prepared me for college. Or better yet, how has life prepared me for college? No, don't. I'm not sure how to answer any of that.
7) Have you had to overcome unusual hardships in your life? Pregnancy was pretty hard, but I overcame it by having a baby. Three times. Otherwise, my life has been pretty uneventful.
8) Can you tell a story to exemplify your skills? I can't even tell a joke. Skills...skillz...skeelz...um, drawing a blank.
How does one go about getting these answers? I'm doomed.
The hardest question for me to answer is why I want to be a nurse. I'm going to have to figure out how to put that into words for another post.
1 comment:
And that's why I would never want to go back to school.... Yikes.
1. Organized, diligent, ambitious, clear-thinking, serious, level-headed....
2. Similar to number 4... Obtained bachelor's degree, served X years teaching math, put career on hold to start a family, now ready to jump back into career mode...
3. Ability to calmly assess and read a situation.. (i don't know, make something up...)
4. see 2.
5. Your answer is just fine. If they don't have a sense of humor then they stink. I dont' really understand the question.. if it were me I'd probaby just put high-falootin' books I've read as well as television shows that might apply and of course, Foghorn Leghorn.
6. I think you should simply answer that with the fact that you graduated HS in X and obtained your BA in X...
7. Put that you have been married to the 200X Backatcha' Champion for X number of years. They'll understand.
8. Wow. Good luck.
Some liberal must have come up with those questions. Seems to me that these are the kinds of things someone who does the interviewing should be able to determine, rather than making the applicants come up with a bunch of stuff to set them apart or try to explain who they are and what they are about.
Post a Comment