Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Student

Try to not think about nursing. Try to not think about nursing. Nursing. This isn't working. Taking care of Willow should keep me distracted. Nursing. But she's just baby. I can't go back to school. Nursing. I'll plant some flowers. Nursing. I'll paint a room. Nursing. Willow won't be in kindergarten for another 4 years. But if I started school now...Okay, fine. I'll look into it.

I thought my desire to go back to school to become a nurse would cool off after having Willow. If anything, it intensified. I started doing the math, asking questions. If I became a nurse, it would be great to get started the same year that Willow started school. How many years would it take to get my degree? Where would I get it from? When should I start? Who would watch Willow? Is it okay to leave her to do something so selfish?

I know me, sort of. I wouldn't sleep until I had some answers.

I met with a friend in the nursing school at USI to ask her some questions. If I could, I would go there. Unfortunately, USI stopped awarding associate's degrees. I would have to get a bachelor's degree. Even with my education degree, that was a lot of classes and a lot of years. Also, USI is $167.30/credit hour. One class (not in the school of nursing) would cost about $850 (with fees and books). Once I started the school of nursing, a semester would cost about $4600. Wow. And USI is 19 miles away and it takes about 40 minutes to drive there. This wasn't looking good.

Later that same week, I was walking through Walmart. (I do that occasionally just to relax.) I saw a girl I remembered from high school but I doubted she new me. My plan was to do what I always do when I recognize someone. Hide. As I approached her and was prepared to avoid her, I felt this overwhelming urge to say hi. This was crazy. We weren't even friends in school. Say hi. She has no idea who I am. Talk to her. No. Do it now. She's almost gone. Noooo! "Hi, you're Amy, right?" I can't believe I did that. Now I'm in this awkward conversation. Don't be a loser. Try to act normal. Hey, she remembers me. She has a kid, I have...several kids. I stay at home, she's a...nurse at Deaconess Gateway. You're kidding me. That's where I want to work. She went to school at Ivy Tech. Wow, God, thanks.

Because of my conversation with Amy, I realized Ivy Tech could be a very good option for me to consider. She had an associate's degree and said most of the nurses she works with have associate's degrees. I would have to look into this.

While checking out their website, I saw information for a campus preview day and immediately signed up. They have a brand new building that is beautiful inside and out. Everyone I met was very helpful and happy to be there and happy I was there. I saw some of the classrooms and got a chance to sit down with several of the teachers in the nursing school who were very encouraging. They looked at my transcripts from USI and thought I only needed a couple of classes and then I could start the school of nursing, probably by next fall. But once I started the school I would have to take all of the classes required each semester for two years. No turning back. No stretching it out. Okay, this was a lot to take in. I would have to think about that later. But for now, at Ivy Tech one credit hour is $95/credit hour. One class would cost me about $500 with fees and books. A semester would be between $1500 and $2000. I don't have that kind of money but it was a lot less than USI, especially since I would have to take a lot fewer classes. I could be done in three years if I wanted to. It was also a bit closer at 15 miles (25 minutes) with my sister the baby-sitter living only a mile from campus. This was looking good.

I explored the rest of the campus and sat down in the commons area and filled out an application. That same week I sent off requests for transcripts from my high school and from USI. Over the next couple of months I:
  • was accepted
  • made baby-sitting arrangements with my sister (thanks Jenny)
  • signed up on campus connect (online area where I find everything I need to do and know)
  • registered for my first class: Anatomy and Physiology 101 (I love that stuff!)
  • paid my tuition (thanks to my friends who paid me to paint)
  • went to the Ivy Tech bookstore and found the books I would need for my class. Only $264 for two books! What a bargain! I said no thank you and bought one on ebay for around $65 and the other on Amazon for $85.
  • made an appointment to meet with the head of the nursing department (this Thursday)

My newest title: student. I am officially a student at Ivy Tech Community College. And we are officially caught up.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Whoohooooo!!!!!!!!

Head forward and know God is behind you. He's the one who prompted you to talk to the girl.

Praise God for all his provisions!

Laura said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Kristina.