Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Good talk.

I finally got my grade back from my test. 119. I'm not happy with that. I know of one that I missed that I think I should have gotten credit for, but I have no idea what the others were. I'm afraid they were stupid mistakes. I confess I did not go back over my test. I lost all concentration and just wanted to get out of there and get to class. I already had a late start. I had made an appointment to take the test at 9am. I got there and signed in at 9:02. There were two people in front of me. Neither one of them had made an appointment and one of those people didn't know her class number or professor's name and she didn't have a student ID. Needless to say, she took awhile. I, on the other hand, had the appointment, the ID and all the necessary info, yet I had to wait until almost 9:15 to be called. I was supposed to get 60 minutes to take the test but after the test I still had to drive over to the other building and get to my class before 10. I sort of rushed through it. I should have double checked my answers.

Once I got to class I asked about two of the questions on the test. On one, I pointed out what I knew to be the answer but was not sure which choice was referring to the answer and I told her I made a note of it on the test because I would have asked her about it had I taken the test in class. She didn't care. So I know I missed that one. The other one I asked about was one where we had to choose the one that is not an answer. I had read the chapter and knew all four choices were right so I didn't know how to answer. She agreed that technically I was right but it was not the way it was on the power point slide. So she gave everybody 2 points but made sure I knew it was nit-picking. I disagree, but enough on that. I could tell Dr. Murphy was mad and somewhat defensive again so it was time to back off.

Other than that, class was uneventful. I got a hug from Terri and talked with the girls about my mom. One of the students from the early lab said there would be no lab quiz. Good. I hadn't studied for that at all. Then I met Jason for lunch and went to lab.

In lab we grouped up and did some respiratory exercises and experiments. I was the guinea pig for hyperventilating and hypoventilating. After hyperventilating, I was able to hold my breath for 78 seconds. Not too shabby, I suppose. Actually, I have no idea what is good. Then I hypoventilated (breathed into a bag to limit oxygen) and I held my breath for 57 seconds. The next day I had a pain in my side. I wonder if it was connected.

After lab, Dr. Murphy approached me to tell me she wasn't mad at me but at two girls who had come to class and then told her they hadn't taken the test. She was mad that they had all week to make arrangements. I said, "Since you are being honest with me, I'll be honest with you. I was a little afraid of you." I told her I felt like I wasn't supposed to talk with her about the test but she said this is her first time making tests and she knows she'll make mistakes. We also got a chance to explain to her why not knowing who made the test really screwed us up on the first test. I still sensed some controlled defensiveness. But we told her we are all nerds who are sort of obsessed about getting an A in this class and we have a lot of competition. It was good to get the communication lines open again. I think it really helped all of us.

I have a lab practical this Friday. The content is probably the easiest we've had so far. But I know one fact, never underestimate your opponent.

No comments: