Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Feeling good

I am feeling pretty good right now. This anatomy class is far more in-depth than I had anticipated. So why am I feeling good? I think it's because I am actually learning it. I remember bits and pieces from past science classes and that helps me file things away properly in my brain. Also, I actually care about the content this time. For example, I was reading about phagocytosis


today and actually stopped what I was doing and started monologuing to no one in particular the wonders of the human cell. I was so fascinated by these microscopic, living machines that form me. If one little thing of this complex ecosystem of sorts goes wrong, I get sick and possibly die. And yet, we never even give them a thought. How anything goes right is a miracle. I am in awe of the human body right now.

Anyway, back to my point. I am learning this time because when I come across a new concept (every other sentence) I read it and reread it and reread it again. I cross reference it with other notes and pictures. I explain it to myself out loud. I don't move on until I really get it. My memory isn't what it used to be thanks to having children, but I think I am smarter than ever. I can understand better than I can memorize. It also helps that I have only one class to focus on. This would be exponentially more difficult if I had a full load like most of the students. I love having one class to really digest (anatomy is punny).

I really worked my gluteal region off last week making sure I understood chapters 1 and 2. I may have mentioned this a few times. So this week, more specifically Saturday through Tuesday, I have pounded away at chapter 3. I wanted to save enough time to get to chapter 4 before the lecture. So I looked at the syllabus and found that my first exam is the 19th. That seemed reasonable. Then I noticed that the exam is only over chapters 1-3. Alright then. Exam one is in the bag. Thank you and good night.

1 comment:

Jason said...

your skills are impressive. I don't know how you can pronounce the terminology let alone know what they mean in be able to apply it in a useful way. Smart and pretty and you rock and roll, the total package.