Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First test Friday

I spent a long time looking for a good gadget/widget to add to my sidebar that would keep track of my grades this semester. I found nothing, which is odd since I have seen thermometer-type widgets that keep track of numerical goals for fundraising, but I couldn't find anything even close. I just made a list for now. See the sidebar. Notice I got another 7 out of 7 on my lab quiz Friday. Thanks. Thank you. This honesty thing is easy while the grades are good. This Friday I have my first lecture exam worth 120 points. Typing in anything less than around 110 will be embarrassing, but I'll let you know the score, good or bad.

If anyone knows of a good widget/gadget to use for this, let me know.

Here it is Tuesday and I haven't studied for this test. We had company Friday. Saturday I worked on finishing my lab homework. Sunday we had no electricity. Monday I cut up fallen trees from the hurricane then passed out watching Monday Night Football. I'll get around to studying today.

Last week's lab was crazy. There were 17 microscopes set up with slides of different tissues, like pseudostratified columnar epithilial tissue and hyaline cartilage. Almost all of them were pink and purple and the differences were subtle to say the least. My job was to draw them. Are you serious? I can't even draw stick figures very well. Now I have to draw all these crammed together cells in a way that highlights what makes them unique but I don't know what makes them unique yet because this is the first time I've ever heard of most of them. And I have just over an hour and I have to share with 25 other people. Most of the class whipped out their digital cameras and took pictures through the microscopes. I forgot to bring mine so I whipped out my box of colored pencils and got busy. I was one of the last in the room at the end of lab. It was just a bit stressful.

When I was finishing up the lab Saturday, I read about each of the tissues I had drawn. It turns out my drawings suck, as suspected. I have squiggles when I should have had cubes. My nuclei are rarely in the right spot. I have the wrong number of layers. I focused on the wrong section of cells. It was crap. Hopefully, drawing pictures won't be a job requirement as a nurse.

I know the names of 5 other students now, two of whom I like. That sounds bad doesn't it...the 5 part, not the 2 part. I'm just terrible at reaching out to meet people. I'll try to make more of an effort next week. No, I probably won't. (I said I'd be honest.)

No comments: