Monday, September 29, 2008

They really try to make it easy.

We spent the entire 2 hours of lecture just reviewing for our lab practical. None of the material is that complicated. It's mostly memorizing names, locations and functions of things. You can't learn it all of sudden just before the test. And based on some of the questions asked during the review, there were several people who hadn't learned it at all. I remember thinking, "I fear for our future patients." My point is that we're being coddled. The material is tough and in-depth. If each of us actually learned it all we'd be very effective nurses. The problem is that we aren't being challenged to learn it. Our tests are silly easy and we're practically given all of the questions and answers before hand. I'm getting a little frustrated. I'm working my tail off all week to understand all of this, then I go to class and they hold the hands of all the people who aren't studying much at all. The class averaged 80% on the lecture exam and the teacher said that it was good. Really? Picture yourself sick in a hospital bed and the nurse comes in and starts poking you with needles and pills and says, "Don't worry. I got an 80% on this stuff. I know what I'm doing." It's not comforting. At least this is not a nursing class. It's just a pre-requisite to get into the school of nursing. I imagine the stakes will go up considerably as will the intelligence and work ethic of my classmates. I hope so. I think there are a lot of people like me in there, but they are the quiet ones. It will take some time to find them.

I've got some new grades to report. I got 10 out of 10 on my lab manual, 15 out of 15 on a tissues worksheet and 103 out of 100 on the lab exam. I must have missed one. I'm not sure which one yet.

Our next exam is over chapters 4,5 and 6. I had to read chapters 5 and 6 to help me learn the stuff on our lab practical so I'm a bit ahead. I think I'll take an afternoon off and treat myself to some shopping at Lowe's.

4 comments:

Jason said...

I think college has been like that for a long time. At least the colleges around here. Maybe it will get harder when you have more advanced classes. Or at least less hand holding. You'll definitely stand out among the others when it's your turn to be recruited.

Laura said...

Who is this?

shanna said...

I love that you shop at Lowe's. As for the class; I think you're just too smart!

Laura said...

Yea! So glad to hear from you Shanna!

Lowe's is my mall. I could spend days there just looking around. Infinite possibilities...