Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The first meeting...

Last night was my first nursing orientation meeting at Ivy Tech. It was led by the nursing department chair and the dean of the school of nursing. I really liked both of them. They were both welcoming and down-to-earth. I believe, but I'm not sure, that I will have classes with them the first semester but not much after that.

At the meeting, I was able to turn in the "change of degree" form to be officially in the school of nursing. Then we talked about all of the health records I need to have turned in. I have to have MMR, tetanus, diphtheria, chicken pox, pertussis, hepatitis B,and TB stuff (= vaccines, boosters, disease or titer). I also have to have my doctor approve that I have the physical and mental abilities to do my nursely duties. I have already called the Vanderburgh County Health Department (I had some vaccines done a few years ago) and my childhood family doctor. Both places are already in the process of faxing my info to my current doctor. I have already made all of the appointments for my two TB tests and readings and for the final appointment to have everything signed. Not bad for less than 24 hours later.

Also at the meeting, I confirmed that my high school transcripts are on file. I also found out that the CPR class I applied for through the mail is already full. So I called to confirm that I am in that class on November 12. That's all good (I mean great).

I have more paperwork to fill out saying that I am physically capable and an info release form. That's easy enough.

In December I will need to go to the Ivy Tech bookstore to be fitted for a uniform. It's basically pants, polos, some patches and a lab coat. The have us fitted to make sure we aren't dragging our pants on the ground. Being 5'4", my pants tend to drag. We also have to get some white leather shoes. Yikes. Oh yeah, there's a lot of other stuff, too. This is going to be an expensive semester and I haven't even heard about the books yet.

I have to have a drug test and a criminal history check after November 14. That should be okay, but you never know.

Once I have all of this information collected and completed (after November 14), I can make an appointment to meet with my advisor to register for classes. For the first semester only, we have some options. I have a list of 6 different plans that I need to look through. At first glance they all look the same so I'll have to spend some time with them to figure it out.

And that's that. I have done just about all I can, other than shopping, until my first TB test on the 27th. I am so ready to get this started.

2 comments:

MomsInSchoolBlog said...

Good luck! Going back can be so stressful and so rewarding. Did you have to get a ton of extra shots because of the program's requirements or did you already have them?

Laura said...

Fortunately I already had them. I only needed two TB tests.