Jason and I rode together in the van because of the icy roads. I dropped him off which means he couldn't bring me lunch. I had lunch with Terri and Laura of "the 4". I stuffed myself with an enormous tray of nachos. That has to be the only edible food there that doesn't come out of a machine.
In lab we talked about blood typing. I found it fascinating...honestly.
I'm O+. That means I have no A or B antigens on my red blood cells but I do have a D antigen (the +). That also means that I have antibodies towards A and B and my body would reject A or B blood like an illness. I can only have O blood. People with A have a B antibody so they can't have any B blood and vice versa. Since I don't have A or B antigens, I can donate to either. People with AB don't have those antibodies so they can have A, B and O blood. The + and - is a D antigen or lack of and the case is the same. Also, A and B are dominant genes and O is recessive. I love this stuff. What's your blood type, anybody?
Halfway through lab we took a field trip to the other lab. We are studying 5 kinds of white blood cells and there is a good poster of them in that lab Dr. Murphy wanted us to see. While we were there, Pam (not a doctor) Puckett of 101 fame came in. Dr. Murphy told her why we were there and she generously said we could take a poster to save her the trip. She couldn't untape the first one so she came to the one by me and I helped her get the tape off. I then offered to carry it back. Mind you, this is a somewhat old, laminated poster. When I reached out to receive it, Pam (not a doctor) jerked it back and said in a gruff tone, "No, Jamie will take it." I looked at Terri and her mouth dropped open. Pam (not a doctor) squeezed around me and took it to Dr Murphy (Jamie) and handed it to her despite the fact that she had her hands full of blood samples for our lab work. Terri and I left and Dr. Murphy came out in the hall and jokingly said, "Anybody want to carry this?" I pulled my hands back and said, "No way, I'm not allowed." We joked the rest of the walk back about how she still has no idea who we are after all of last semester. But by the end of lab I was starting to feel less funny and more hurt. That's just not how you treat people, whether you are in a position of authority or not. Teachers in middle school don't even talk to kids like that and last time I checked, we were both adults. What was I going to do with a poster of white blood cells, sell it on ebay for $2.00? It was ridiculous. I take back all the nice things I said about her in her defense. Someday I'm going to be a nurse (making more money than her) and she's going to get older and sick and need the help of some of these nursing students that's she's alienated and angered over the years. I guess she hasn't thought that far ahead. As Michael Scott says, "Business is the most personal thing there is and people will never go out of business." Okay, that may not apply very well, but it's what I thought of and I'm terrible with quotes. When in Rome...
No comments:
Post a Comment